Sunday, June 3, 2012

Major in unfraid

Back when I was still just starting out school, I was divided between majors. I wanted to major something that inspired me, made me get up in the middle of the night and convince me to study and also give me an opportunity to build a career. I wanted to make a difference in society, corporate or non-profit. If there's one vice I had, it was recognition.
All this thought forced me to be afraid of the choice I made. What if I made the wrong choice and landed on the wrong path? Would that be the end of it all? Would I never be able to get back on track? All these thoughts made it difficult to make a decision.
But if there's one piece of advice that I can give anyone in the same boat, it would be to major in unafraid. Being afraid of the choices and spiraling into the potential consequences might make your experience worse. I'm not saying that you should not have regrets, on the contrary, everyone should learn from the mistakes that led to those regrets. But being unafraid of the consequences will give you the passion, the energy and the drive to make a difference in society as well.
I ask you now to be unafraid, because that's a choice you have, and I don't. Being afraid is a regret I have, and I hope someday, you don't.
Choose well.


-Prashant Khorana