Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pen and Pencil Dilemma


I was always a visual information taker and learned more from attending class and lectures than from reading myself. But when reading a book, I usually carry a pen, pencil or marker of some sort.  Now I’m not referring to text books, which I never read anyways, but about fiction, business and other non-fiction books.
When I was marking my book the other day, I wondered how my choice of instrument(I usually use a pen) represented my personality.
There were moments when I would tell myself that I shouldn't be marking my books with pens, markers(I don’t use markers cause I usually find their brightness distracting), but then I thought again, is anyone else going to look at my book when I lend it to them and say-‘this guy must be untidy, he couldn’t even keep his books clean’ or perhaps – ‘look at this guys inability to draw straight lines under text’ or even maybe on the flipside –‘seems like he takes his books seriously’. 
Our instruments define our personalities, but its how others see it is what makes it interesting, and those different perspectives matter. 

So, what's your instrument?