Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Easy for you or for me?

Perhaps doing things the way you always do is not a good thing, even if it’s for yourself.
More recently, me and a co-worker were having an argument over how to work a spreadsheet. Turns out he was upset that I hadn’t set it up the way that he wanted it. Now I’m just a junior guy, trying my best to impress, but at the same time, I don’t want to be participating in a lot of strategic-ass kissing and make my life hell either.
Defaulting to yes, even when the tasks are menial and unnecessary is a good thing when you are keen and inquisitive, but eventually wastes ‘team time’. So the paradox is, are we actually better off?
I’m sure it makes someone in the team better off, but it definitely doesn’t make everyone better off. Collectively, when we expect others to do things that are actually not valuable, we’re worse off. The path towards group accountability is not easy, but easy and successful rarely cross each other’s path.


-Prashant Khorana