Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On street names

I hate construction noise.
Everyday I wake up and that's all I can hear; some private construction firm, hired by the government, going along in its capitalist way fixing roads, doing as its told and changing the path on which I walk everyday (for the better or not, I'll leave it up to your imagination).

But then I realize that all that work was being done to make a change. All that effort was needed, all the cacophony had to be created, healthy tension between me and the construction company had to be developed for creating this meaningful change.

But changing street names is easy. I could walk to the corner of the street, knock off the tin plate which says the street name on it and put PK(my initials) street on it. Changing roads on the other hand requires excavation, intense effort and alas, construction noise.

Meaningful change requires us to dig deeper under the surface and create solutions that actually work and are not temporary.

So what will you be changing today; street names or road names ?