Sunday, April 8, 2012

What LEGO can teach you about leadership

I was always a big fan of Lego. There’s different kinds of Lego available around the world, and being a person who was always fond of arts and crafts, I still find myself playing with some Lego on quaint occasions.

As a kid, I used to start with a broken set, follow instructions and build the actual structure. Done enough times, I would know off the bat what to do to rebuild the structure. On one occasion, if I remember correctly, I lost my instructions, but I was still able to make something out of the blocks at hand, and was extremely happy with my immense power to build from imagination.

Corporations have much to learn from Lego and its power. Just like my story above, all of us are born innovative, and unfortunately, we get used to following instructions, and are told that knowledge from before aka. history is the best predictor of future, becomes our holy grail. We lose the power to imagine and never attempt to build new things because we fear failure.

I’m going back to my Lego set now, and I hope you will too. Gain some inspiration and build your own life structure. We're all innovative deep down.