Saturday, April 28, 2012

Are you writing it down?

More recently, I've been catering to and working with multiple bosses(will refrain mentioning good bass / bad boss). Although I've learned a lot from them and their different objective viewpoints, its definitely been a challenge managing all of them together. I'm an efficient person(or at least I believe I am), and I've never had to make them fight with each other over who's work I'm prioritizing at any given moment. I usually manage to switch between things and multitask under the gun(Although I do not recommend multi-tasking). But between all the back and forth, I get lots of pointers thrown at me via a variety of medium including being yelled at across from the adjacent cubicle; and sometimes, when we are arguing things across in a room, or debating details with each other, there are action items embedded in those discussions that are hard to pickup.

Writing things down is important, but catching things in between conversations is even harder. So whats the solution here? Do you assume the other members of the team will make it clear later what needs to be done? Or do you write everything down you hear, and hope that its somewhere in your notes?

Effective listening is challenging, so is effective communication, and you have to understand both sides to make it actually work. I'll leave it to you to choose to write it down or not, but remember, either way, you're the one who's got to get it done.

So, are you writing it down?