Monday, October 15, 2012

Daily dose of Reciprocity

A new sushi place popped up next door to me few weeks ago, but its takeout only. I’ve been there three times now since it opened, which is in line with my with my obsession for sushi.

But since its takeout only, I struggled to decide whether I should leave a tip or not. Based on my visits, I decided to tip $5 last night, which over three trips summed up to roughly 15% of purchase value, no more or less than what I would have tipped anywhere else, but the chefs definitely felt the other way and saw it as an act of generosity; and as I was walking out, one of them ran up to me and brought me a side which is priced at $5 on the menu.

 

Reciprocity is an interesting beast. Whether the chefs did it in order to illicit further tips, or whether to return the favour is something I’ll never know, but whether it’s human nature to reciprocate, yes, it absolutely is.